Zum Inhalt springen
...für den anspruchsvollen Herren

MEN IN BLACK II

MARCBLEE

Empfohlene Beiträge

MEN IN BLACK II

Synopsis: MIB agents, Jay (Will Smith) and Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) team up once again to save the planet from hostile alien invaders. When an alien ship crashes in Central Park, agent Jay is sent to investigate. Meanwhile, the ship's occupant (Lara Flynn Boyle) has assumed the stunning form of a Victoria's Secret model from an advertisement in a New York Times magazine. Alias Serleena, she storms the city in her quest for "the light of Zartha." Jay seeks out Kay, now a divorced postal worker, and de-neutralizes him to help in the battle against the alien bombshell and her entourage who have taken over MIB headquarters. However, the de-neutralizing process is not a miracle drug and it takes some time before Kay actually remembers his past and recovers completely.

Men in Black II?

Really, it's more like “Men Go Back” .

Arriving in time for the big Fourth of July blowout, the film is a star-spangled dud.

Agent Jay (Will Smith) is back, and he's wearing his shades and dark suit. He still works for the hush-hush government agency that handles space-alien emergencies while keeping the very presence of those aliens a secret from most earthlings.

The crisis this time involves a many-tentacled alien called Serleena that transforms itself into a lingerie model who looks exactly like Lara Flynn Boyle of The Practice. It also involves a mysterious "light" that Serleena is seeking, a light upon which rests the fate of our planet, and places beyond.

Has it been five years since the first Men in Black?

During that time Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) has worked as a postmaster, having had his memory voluntarily erased (or "neutralized"). But Kay holds the key to defeating Serleena, so Jay must zap him back into service.

"We are who we are," a fully restored Kay admits philosophically, "even if we sometimes forget."

The original Men in Black, based on the Malibu comic book by Lowell Cunningham, was a monster hit that turned out to be entertaining in a surprisingly delicate way. Underneath the suits and the sunglasses, the special effects and the big guns, was an eccentric, semi-satirical comedy.

Although the sequel (which opened July 3rd) has a few very funny scenes, I miss the original’s coolness and fun. This movie seemed to be “look what we can do” from the effects department.

Rip Torn reprises his role as agency honcho Zed, while Tony Shalhoub returns as Jeebs, the alien whose head keeps blowing up and growing back. Returning, too, are those politically incorrect Worm Guys and Frank the Pug, who does elicit a few laughs by singing "I Will Survive" and barking along with "Who Let the Dogs Out."

Rounding out the cast are Patrick Warburton (The Tick, Seinfeld) as a weepy agent, Rosairo Dawson as a pizzeria waitress with a thing for Jay, and Johnny Knoxville as a two-headed extraterrestrial which sort of irritated me a bit after a while watching him.

Barry Sonnenfeld, who directed the terrific original (and, remember, the not-so-terrific Wild Wild West), is back in the driver's seat. Only this time he drives down a dead end. The charmless script is by Robert Gordon (Galaxy Quest) and Barry Fanaro (Kingpin). Sonnenfeld has a cameo has the father of the family's house the MIB's go to for more weapons behind a hidden wall the family never knew about.

Another FRIGHTENING cameo was by Michael Jackson. Yeah, you heard me, the King Of Pop shows up as a MIB wannabe and actually scared the shit outta me when his face pops up on MIB headquaters monitor. Who, what, or why is this person is a question I will ask myself forever!

Just as it was difficult to say precisely why the first film worked, it's also tough to say why this one doesn't. The problem isn't the cast, which looks energized. And it's not the production values, which seem bigger than ever. (An early sequence involving a mammoth, subway-eating serpent is well-staged.)

Part of the trouble may be that the premise and special effects are no longer fresh. Or maybe it's just harder to laugh at an alien attack -- especially one that's centered in New York City -- after Sept. 11.

The finale, which involves a fireworks-like explosion near the Statue of Liberty, was ok but typical.

Theories, theories!

Do we really need a theory to explain why a big, over-hyped sequel doesn't work? Not working, after all, is what most big, over-hyped sequels do best.

This movie will make money, only because of the success of the original and the need of the public to see what happens next knowing that Kay was neutralized and placed in a post office.

I honestly expected more from MIBII but was sort of disappointed. I should have went back to see SPIDER-MAN or ATTACK OF THE CLONES once more.

Oh! I did!!!

My score: 6 (maybe even a 5) out of 10.

Take your time to go see this one.

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

However, there are a few exceptions:

- Naked Gun (except 33 1/3, which wasn't that good)

- Hot Shots

- Star Trek

- Star Wars (let's just forget about Episode 1 and 2 for a minute...)

- Lethal Weapon (though I've never seen them myself...)

- Speed (just kidding...)

- Lord of the Rings

Note: This list does not claim to be complete in any way...

However, there are a few exceptions:

- Naked Gun (except 33 1/3, which wasn't that good)

UGH! Don't like this movies.

- Hot Shots

Yup!

- Star Trek

Of course!!

- Star Wars (let's just forget about Episode 1 and 2 for a minute...)

Ohhhhh yes!

- Lethal Weapon (though I've never seen them myself...)

What??? Hurry up! They're great!

- Speed (just kidding...)

Yup!

- Lord of the Rings

You have already seen the 2nd part?

Sich mit jemandem der Deutsch spricht auf English zu unterhalten ist irgendwie lustig. :D

UGH! Don't like this movies.

I simply adore them!

You have already seen the 2nd part?

Nope, but as you'll probably know, they've done all three movies in a row, and they've been planned as three connected movies which tell one single story in three parts, just like the books (originally 6 books, but published as three). So I expect the 2nd and 3rd part to be at least as good as the first one, especially as people say the first book is the worst.

Sich mit jemandem der Deutsch spricht auf English zu unterhalten ist irgendwie lustig.

Yep!

I really loved the original movie and so I "have" to watch it. I hope the film isn't as bad as you called him, but I'll see. By the way there's another reason for me to view it: I heard Michael Jackson has a little role. In one scene you can see him as an agent in a black suite.

On top of that the soundtrack of "MIB II" is very good. "Black suite comin' (nock ya head)" - the single sung by Will Smith - is one of my favourite songs at the moment.

LOL....Hi Raven,

Like the rest have said, I do mention Michael Jackson's appearance in the movie and your post sounded like you may have missed that.

On another note, my reviews are my personal opinions ONLY!  I would NEVER suggest anyone NOT see a movie because your opinion matters as much as my own.  I value other comments and I think you people have the best comments in the world!

Cya!

Marc

On another note, my reviews are my personal opinions ONLY!  I would NEVER suggest anyone NOT see a movie because your opinion matters as much as my own.  I value other comments and I think you people have the best comments in the world!

that's cool :) :)

i think i have to watch it too in the cinema... cause all of my friends don't pay any atention to my opinion... and when i tell them 'hey this movie's crap' they will not beliefe me ;)

uaaa i'm so tired right now... forgive me my bad english

@ MARCBLEE: Now I'm understanding your advice. I read about his appearance, but Mr. Jackson is one of my favourite musicians and so I wanted to mention it twice. Because that is one of the reasons why I "have" to watch this film.

Wasn't his scene very good?

Hey Raven:

About Jackson: I wouldn't say the scene was good but any celebrity could have filled this role.

On watching a recent interview with the director, Jackson begged to wear MIB suit.  He also "demanded" that his face be on the movie poster.  He had a lot of demands that the director refused to grant.

Jackson and I are about the same age (he's older) and I've watched him since the beginning.  To see what he's turned into (except the great performer that he is) disturbs me and I don't consider him someone I would want my children to be like.

Your "first" sight of him on the screen may "scare" you a bit............and there was NO makeup used!

:P  :P

• 2 Wochen später...

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

• Hallo Gast - Aufgrund des vielen Spams müssen leider ein paar Fragen beantwortet werden.

Bitte der Reihe nach durchführen, sonst kann das Captcha nicht erfolgreich abgeschlossen werden...
    Schritt 1: Wenn Picard ein Captain ist, sollte hier ein Haken rein...
    Schritt 2: und wenn es in der Nacht nicht hell ist, sollte hier der Haken raus!
    Schritt 3:
  • Bilder

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies um Funktionalität zu bieten und um generell zu funktionieren. Wir haben Cookies auf Deinem Gerät platziert. Das hilft uns diese Webseite zu verbessern. Du kannst die Cookie-Einstellungen anpassen, andernfalls gehen wir davon aus, dass Du damit einverstanden bist, weiterzumachen. Datenschutzerklärung Beim Abensden von Formularen für Kontakt, Kommentare, Beiträge usw. werden die Daten dem Zweck des Formulars nach erhoben und verarbeitet.