Zum Inhalt springen
...mit dem fantastischen Stempel der guten Laune

Sir Patrick Stewart

MrPicard

Empfohlene Beiträge

Ein neues Interview, grad frisch reingekommen:

Patrick Stewart, age 70, has managed to pursue a career blending classic theater with pop culture TV to much acclaim. This year, he was nominated for an Emmy Award for his performance as Claudius and the Ghost in Hamlet on PBS' Great Performances, competing in the made-for-TV movie/miniseries supporting actor category against the likes of Michael Gambon (Emma), Jonathan Pryce (Return to Cranford), David Straithairn (Temple Grandin) and John Goodman (You Don’t Know Jack). But to a generation of TV viewers, he will always be Captain Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Sir Patrick spoke with Ray Richmond for Deadline Hollywood about the honor of being knighted, his obsession with Shakespeare, and why he originally thought casting him on Star Trek was crazy talk.

Deadline Hollywood: You were knighted in June. How did this all go down?

Sir Patrick Stewart: I received a letter, and when I opened it there was shock and utter disbelief. It wasn’t what I was expecting at all. People have been saying this could happen to me for several years, but they’re not the kind of things I listened to. From the time I was much younger, I’d followed those actors who were similarly honored, like Sir Michael Redgrave, Sir Ian McKellan. I never anticipated someday being able to join those ranks. It’s a terrific honor and I take it as one bestowed on my profession and my associations. I am very proud and very humbled by it.

DH: I suppose that by comparison, an Emmy nomination is pretty modest stuff. You’ve received three of those before.

SPS: It is not something I take lightly at all. It’s an extraordinary distinction, particularly for playing a supporting player in a Shakespearean play. That doesn’t happen to many actors on television. I feel it’s an immense honor to the Royal Shakespeare Company and to those of us who form Shakespearean projects in Britain. The realization of a nomination is just thrilling.

DH: You never were nominated for your captain’s role on Star Trek: The Next Generation. On the other hand, I’m the critic who said at the time the show premiered in 1987, "What are these people thinking, casting some bald-headed British guy?"

SPS: You wrote that?

DH: Well, um…

SPS: It echoed my own feelings at the time as well. Why would they cast a middle-aged bald English Shakespearean actor in this iconic role as captain of the Enterprise? It made no sense. But I guess Gene Roddenberry had some sort of instinct for it, and his producer Rick Berman was a champion of mine. Even so, it all felt borderline lunatic back then. It took me a good while to grow comfortable in that role. I know that my experience with classic Shakespeare was a great help to me in finding this heightened language that was larger than life and utterly epic.

DH: You seem to be continually drawn back to Shakespeare.

SPS: It really transcends drama and takes my craft of acting to another level. I feel very blessed to have spent a big chunk of my life as an actor performing his plays. Over the past five years, I’ve been lucky enough to do five of his plays, along with Beckett and Ibsen and David Mamet. I am immensely grateful for the opportunity and very lucky that I am an Englishman and Shakespeare is our national playwright. To me, he’s more like a friend than an intimidating, remote individual.

DH: Do you prefer the stage to every other medium?

SPS: When I was a teenager, all I ever wanted to be was a stage actor. I thought it would be nice to do some television, maybe build a little bit of security. Film was always a fantasy. I went to the movies and was crazy about them growing up, but I never saw myself as being part of that world. Everything that’s come my way in terms of film and adventures like Star Trek were unlooked for but welcome. Now I love to move between stage and film, animation, voiceovers, even radio at times. But I made the decision 5 or 6 years ago that I had a little bit of catching up to do in terms of serious British theater and thought if I was going to do that, I needed to make a real commitment to it.

DH: What's next?

SPS: I am now taking a break from theater over the next 9 or 10 months or so, so I can hopefully reinvestigate film prospects. That’s what I hope to do over the bulk of 2011. I love the world of filmmaking, and I think it’s very good for this actor to have the challenge of moving from one medium to another.

Quelle

• 2 Wochen später...

Du, ich hab die auch nicht angeschaut. Ich muß aber eh jeden Morgen um 5 Uhr aufstehen, also bin ich diesmal ne halbe Stunde früher raus und hab noch schnell nachgeschaut, um mich zu vergewissern, daß er den Emmy auch wirklich nicht gewonnen hat. ;)

Wo hätte ich sie auch anschauen sollen, wurde ja im deutschen Fernsehen gar nicht übertragen soweit ich weiß... ;)

• 2 Wochen später...

Hier gibt es einen Teil eines Interviews mit Sir Patrick, in dem er über TNG, Macbeth und Shakespeare spricht.

Ich hab mal nen kleinen Auszug hierherkopiert, weil ich ihn sehr interessant finde:

Looking back at your entire run, from the show to the features, who was Jean-Luc Picard supposed to be and who was he by the end? Also, what influence would you say you had on the character's evolution through your performances and as a result of conversations you had with (executive producer) Rick Berman and the writers over the years?

Stewart: I had dinner with Gene Roddenberry at the Bel Air Country Club the weekend before we began rehearsal for the pilot. I’d read the pilot episode, “Encounter at Farpoint,” by then and my reason for meeting with Gene was to take from him his counsel and his guidelines as to how I should develop this character. All Gene said to me was, “You know the Horatio Hornblower stories?” And I said, “I did, because I read them as a teenager and enjoyed them.” He said, “I am sending some copies around to you. Read them. That’s all you need to know.” (Laughs). Well, I did read one of the Horatio Hornblower stories and I think I got the idea of what Gene was after. In the pilot episode and throughout the first season I was following that path of a rather heroic, romantic leading officer who was on a voyage of discovery. Then, working with the writers, talking to the writers, different aspects of his character, the rather more complex and at times ambivalent aspects of his character began to emerge.

And when Gene died tragically early – and certainly tragically early in the life of Next Generation – there were some shifts after that. I had been working very closely with Rick Berman and I knew some of the things Rick was interested in, and he knew some of my passions: social issues, politics, sexual politics, and so forth. And we began to investigate those aspects of the character a little more than we had in the first couple of season. Rick was always very generous to me and took on board suggestions and discussed ideas, even down to details of dialogue. So my involvement grew and grew and grew so that by the time we got into the seventh season there was a total overlap between Jean-Luc Picard and Patrick Stewart. I no longer had to sit in my trailer getting into character. I knew this man intimately. He was very, very close to me. I don’t take credit for the creation of Jean-Luc Picard. That came from Gene and the writers at the very beginning of the production, and those who subsequently came to write for the character.

Ich sehe das etwas pragmatischer. Wißt ihr, Sir Patrick ist kein Star Trek Experte. (Was man ja an der äußerst merkwürdigen Darstellung des Jean-Luc Picard in Nemesis erkennen konnte, vor mir steht da Sir Patrick in Starfleet-Uniform, aber nicht Jean-Luc, und Sir Patrick hatte bei dem Film durchaus seine Fingerchen mit im Spiel bei vielen Szenen, was man merkt.)

Der Film von Abrams ist für Leute wie ihn konzipiert worden - Leute, die Star Trek halt ab und an gerne mal schauen oder sonstirgendeinen Bezug dazu haben und ansonsten halt oberflächliches Popcorn-Actionkino mögen und ungern nachdenken über das, was sie da sehen. Es ist kein Wunder, daß er den Film gut findet, ich habe damit sogar gerechnet, daß er dies tun würde, noch bevor er sich äußerte. Hätte man mich gefragt, was er darüber wohl denken wird, hätte ich sofort gesagt, er wird den Film mögen, es ist Action und er liebt Action. Er denkt sich da auch nichts bei - er weiß nichts von Canon-Verbiegungen und Kiddie Kirk, er sieht eben Chris Pine und findet es gut. Hinzu kommt noch, daß unter Hollywood-Schauspielern normalerweise keiner den anderen in die Pfanne haut. Man beachte, daß fast alle Trek-Darsteller (außer John Billingsley, dem ich das hoch anrechne, ich halte nichts von ENT, aber das tut dem keinen Abbruch) den Film in den Himmel lobten und dies auch immernoch tun - eben auch aus Solidarität. Da wird keiner sagen "boah, was für ein grottiger Film" oder "DAS soll Star Trek sein?!". Außer eben John Billingsley, dessen Kritik auch nur sehr leise anmutete, aber wenigstens mal einer, der sich nicht vor Abrams' Karren spannen ließ und anmerkte, daß der Film nur noch sehr wenig mit Star Trek zu tun habe.

Um dies abzurunden - sicherlich bin ich überhaupt nicht begeistert von der Tatsache, daß Sir Patrick Trek XI gut findet (ich würde mich mit ihm darüber in die Wolle kriegen, ja) aber man muß auch die Hintergründe sehen. Er findet ja auch Nemesis immernoch gut und ist der Meinung, Jean-Lucs Charakter richtig und vollkommen super getroffen zu haben. Ich muß nicht in allen Dingen mit ihm einer Meinung sein - und meiner Bewunderung für ihn tut dies auch keinen Abbruch, ich bin niemand der sofort kreischt "I lost all respect when Sir Patrick said this and that" - er ist und bleibt mein Lieblingsschauspieler und die Tatsache, daß er in manchen Dingen eine andere Meinung hat als ich, ist nur natürlich.

----

So, gestern war nun die offizielle Premiere von A Life In The Theatre... ich stell hier jetzt nicht zig Links zu Kritiken rein, aber ich habe hier ein Foto von der Party danach auf dem er auch noch sehr nett lächelt. *ggg*

• 2 Wochen später...

Dein Kommentar

Du kannst jetzt schreiben und Dich später registrieren. Wenn Du ein Konto hast, melde Dich jetzt an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

• Hallo Gast - Aufgrund des vielen Spams müssen leider ein paar Fragen beantwortet werden.

Bitte der Reihe nach durchführen, sonst kann das Captcha nicht erfolgreich abgeschlossen werden...
    Schritt 1: Wenn Picard ein Captain ist, sollte hier ein Haken rein...
    Schritt 2: und wenn es in der Nacht nicht hell ist, sollte hier der Haken raus!
    Schritt 3:

• Bilder

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies um Funktionalität zu bieten und um generell zu funktionieren. Wir haben Cookies auf Deinem Gerät platziert. Das hilft uns diese Webseite zu verbessern. Du kannst die Cookie-Einstellungen anpassen, andernfalls gehen wir davon aus, dass Du damit einverstanden bist, weiterzumachen. Datenschutzerklärung Beim Abensden von Formularen für Kontakt, Kommentare, Beiträge usw. werden die Daten dem Zweck des Formulars nach erhoben und verarbeitet.